Thursday, December 4, 2008

My Big Race!


Basically I'm a happy, enthusiastic person. I do things with a passion. In order to get something done I have to have some kind of adrenaline kicker. I function best working with others, doing a large project or dealing with big trauma. Trying to do something mundane or unending is like torture for me and I can hardly get anything done.

After MUCH thought, prayer, and sound boarding (with my sister-in-law) I finally came up with a competition with myself: The "IN-ME 500"

It is a Tortoise and Hare sort of concept. the track is placed on my wall and will travel all around the family room and hallway. I move forward a space and write what I did on it every time I do some specified things. Like scripture study, drinking 6 glasses of water, 15 min of exercise, 45 minutes of housecleaning, staying within my eating plan, etc. If I earn 500 spaces (adding the Tortoise and Hare's together) by my birthday in March, my husband will buy me a sewing machine. The Hare moves forward if I did something because I wanted to and/or got to do it with someone else. The Tortoise moves a space when I did something I didn't want to or because I "had to". So far the Tortoise is in the lead 8-4. This is totally fun!

4 comments:

Teresa said...

Well done, Tammy! You are an inspiration. I really like this creative idea for staying motivated. As a stay-at-home mom, I have trouble staying motivated to do common day-to-day tasks, too. This is brilliant, and the great thing is that any one of us can do something similar using our own interests and creativity. Thank you for sharing this great idea!

Tonya said...

You are sooooo creative and funny! Good luck with your race.

Unknown said...

Tammy, what a clever idea! I am the queen of procrastination. It is so much easier to read a book, watch a show or go shopping. Hang the dishes, the vacuuming,and all the etc.
Go Tortise!
Sue Carroll

theresa said...

awesome idea!!!!